Rare roast beef salad with green beans, Jersey Royal potatoes and horseradish cream
The King of potatoes, mouth-wateringly good simply boiled with lashings of butter, or try this tasty, fresh recipe at home.
Look out for seasonal Jersey Royals making a guest appearance on our Wine Bar menus throughout April too.
Ingredients (serves four)
400g rare roast loin of beef cut into 5mm slices
Salt and pepper
15ml olive oil
300g Jersey Royal potatoes, cooked and cut in half lengthways
150g extra fine green beans, cooked
Grated zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
30g mixed baby salad leaves
10g grated Parmesan
4 salt roasted tomatoes
80g balsamic onions
20ml basil oil
100ml crème fraîche
30ml horseradish cream
10g Dijon mustard
- Mix together the crème fraîche, horseradish and Dijon mustard.
- Warm the cooked potatoes, season with salt and pepper and dress with the lemon zest, lemon juice and ½ of the olive oil. Add to the salad leaves and green beans, toss lightly with your hands and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Divide equally between four small plates. Layer the slices of beef and salad, piling high and adding the roasted tomatoes and balsamic onions. Add a spoonful of horseradish cream, drizzle with basil oil and serve.
150ml olive oil
450g red onions, peeled and sliced
2 tbs brown sugar
20ml (1 tbs) balsamic vinegar
- Heat oil over low heat, add onions and cook very slowly, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Add the sugar and allow to caramelize slightly.
- Add the vinegar and cook for a further 10 minutes or until thick.
Salt baked tomatoes
18 ripe plum tomatoes
6 cloves garlic, crushed with a little salt
8 tbsp chopped oregano
Freshly ground black pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to the lowest heat setting. Slice the tomatoes in half horizontally and scoop out most of the seeds.
- Salt the insides and turn cut side down on a wire cake tray – leave for half an hour, then rinse and dry.
- Mix the crushed garlic with the oregano and black pepper. Spread this mix over the cut side of the tomatoes. Place the tomatoes cut side up in a roasting tray and drizzle with olive oil. Cook in a low oven at 100C/200F for three hours.
- Place the tomatoes in a sterilized Kilner jar and cover with extra virgin oil.
Recommended wine match – Château Rocher Calon BUY NOW