Brown sugar Pavlovas with strawberries and passion fruit
6 x brown sugar Pavlovas (see recipe below)
150 g vanilla whipped cream (see method below)
18 leaves of mint
3 tsp icing sugar
240 g Brogdale Hall strawberries hulled, halved or quartered depending on their size
Seeds and juice from 3 passion fruit
Spoon the whipped vanilla cream on top of each of the Pavlovas then place the strawberries onto the cream, dust with a little icing sugar and spoon over the seeds and juice of the passion fruit.
Rip the mint leaves along the veins to form strips, sprinkle over the dessert and serve.
150 ml whipping cream
20 g icing sugar
A dash of vanilla essence to taste
Whip together all of the ingredients until soft peaks form, not too stiff
Brown sugar Pavlova
200g egg whites
220g caster sugar
100g dark brown sugar
100g icing sugar
- In an electric mixer whisk the egg whites until almost stiff, then gradually add the caster sugar. Once blended slowly add the dark brown sugar.
- Sieve together the icing sugar and the cornflour and gradually add to the beaten whites, continue beating until stiff.
- Pipe onto grease proof paper about 15 cm in diameter. Take the top of a small baked bean tin and mark a circle in pencil, turn the paper over and lay on a baking sheet, pipe the circle into the marked round.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 130c, then bake for a further 30 – 40 minutes at 100c.
- To allow a little of the steam to escape, put a cloth in the door to keep it open – this will dry out the pavlova on the outside, it will crack on the top but don’t worry this. Once cooked remove and cool on a wire rack until you are ready to use or keep in an air tight container. They should have a crust on the outside but marshmallow softness on the inside.